At Biltmore Psychology and Counseling, our hearts break for the victims and families of those killed in Orlando. For those of you who are looking for crisis services, know that there are crisis counselors available 24 hours a day through the Disaster Distress Helpline. Please see the listing below for ways to contact the Helpline:
SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
The Disaster Distress Helpline is a national hotline dedicated to providing year-round immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746to connect with a trained crisis counselor.
The Disaster Distress Helpline is staffed by trained counselors from a network of crisis call centers located across the United States. These counselors provide:
- Crisis counseling for people in emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster
- Information on how to recognize distress and its effects on individuals and families
- Tips for healthy coping
- Referrals to local crisis call centers for additional follow-up care and support
When you call or text, crisis counselors will listen to what’s on your mind with patience and without judgment. There is no need to give any identifying information when you contact the Disaster Distress Helpline. The counselor may ask you for some basic information at the end of the call, but these questions are optional and are intended to help SAMHSA keep track of the types of calls it receives.
Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor. The Disaster Distress Helpline’s number 1-800-846-8517 is available to all hard of hearing and deaf people.
SAMHSA also has an interpretation service that connects callers with counselors in more than 150 languages. Call 1-800-985-5990 and press 2. For texting support in Spanish:
- People in the United States should text Hablanos to 66746.
- People in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands should text Hablanos to 1-212-461-4635.
- People in American Samoa, Guam, Palau, the Marshall Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia should text Hablanos to 1-206-430-1097.